Things Starting To Look Blurry When You Look Down? Some Options For Correcting Your Vision

If you have to get a magnifying glass to read small print, such as a book that you are reading or a recipe you wrote down years ago, your doctor will likely prescribed bifocals. Below is some information about bifocals, as well as some other options you have.


Bifocals will correct both your nearsighted or farsighted vision, as well as correct the vision when you look down at small print in one single lens. Each area of the lens changes in power, depending on what you are looking at. Having these variations in power may cause you to feel distorted or dizzy when you first start wearing them. Fortunately, this will go away once you get used to them.  Bifocals do have a line of some sort that runs along the middle of the lens.

Progressive Lenses

If you do not want a line across the lens, ask your optometrist for progressive lenses. With these glasses, you will get a middle, near, and distant focal range with no line that will make you jump when you look up to down. This means it will not take time for you to get used to them, as it will look like you are wearing normal glasses.

Reading Glasses

If you only have problems when reading small print, you can try reading glasses. These are available at drug stores. They come in different strengths so you will need to try a few pairs on to find what works best for you. When you put a pair on, pick up something like an aspirin bottle to see how well you can read the small print.  They come in a variety of styles and colors.

If you already wear eyeglasses to correct farsightedness, nearsightedness, or astigmatism, you should see your eye doctor for prescription reading glasses.  

They will have reading glasses that have higher strengths, if you need this, and the doctor can help you choose what is best for you.


Trifocals provides you with three vision corrections, one for distance, one for middle distance, and one for up close distance when you are looking down reading small print. Many people like these lenses as there are no visible lines. This type of lens is usually prescribed to people that have severe presbyopia.

Your eye doctor can help you choose the best type of lens to correct the vision problem you are having.